Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Oh crikey, NR is at it again

You know the oddest thing is that lately I've been reading John Derbyshire a good bit. Is this an American weakness, for the acerbic Brit? Dunno, can't say. The brothers Hitchens, Eric Blair, the brothers Cockburn, and, of course, John Derbyshire.

Anyway. The oddest thing is that I've been reading some Derbyshire lately, I've found myself drifting over to National Review Online, searching for his posts in The Corner. Unlike the predominately Catholic corpus writeri of National Review, "Derb" is as best I can tell a sort of dish-water Anglican (if that is not redundant).

Lest that sound, umm, harsh, let me say that I'm pretty sure Derb would quite agree with the Jefferson Bible---and agreeing with ol' Tom is one of the ways to get on my good side, just generally speaking.

However, it now seems that Derb has gotten on the wrong side of Ramesh Ponnoru. There are various and sundry snide comments from "Ram" (I'll allow myself this liberty), and an absolute smashing post title from Derb ("Shut Up, He Explained").

I think it all started here, and if it's interesting to anyone, use F10 and just check all of Derb's and Ram's posts. Of note though is "K-Lo" (how cute) flapping around trying to maintain comity.

I fear a purge be in the works, mateys.

Actually, given the very purgist history of NR (think: Frum, as only one example), and Derb's recognition that Ron Paul is far and away the most Republican of the Republican candidates, I could have called it a couple of months back. But I didn't, of course.

No comments: