Wednesday, July 2, 2008

. . . then there is no such thing as torture.

Christopher Hitchens got waterboarded, and of it he writes, "Well, then, if waterboarding does not constitute torture, then there is no such thing as torture."

He agreed to be waterboarded, and he agrees that it is torture. Although he equivocates, I think he comes down solidly on the right side. I expect my heroes to have feet of clay, for they are as all men are, flawed, fallen and fallible. I also expect my enemies to have things in their favor, to occasionally see a truth I might miss, to sometimes be fighting just as hard for their beliefs as I like to think I could, or would, fight for mine. There is much where my opinion diverges from Christopher Hitchens', including God and Iraq. But Bully for him. Good show.

No comments: