Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Simply Too Cool Not To Share: A Glock Idea is Born

I cannot BELIEVE that I am posting a link to the UKS--that's Ultimate Kool-Aid Site, sometimes known as Glocktalk. But dang, it's an unexpected day, I guess.

Candle Glock 30

I've got this bastardized Glock that I like, I call it a 21/30. If you're all hep to Glock model nomenclature, you can probably guess what a 21/30 is---it's a Model 21 with the butt trimmed or pared back to Model 30 length, and using Model 30 magazines.

It is, basically, the XD45 Compact in Glock trim.

You may wonder why, if it's the XD45 Compact of Glocks, I didn't just get the XD45 Compact of the XD world? Well, it's because of Sarge. When he warned us off of the XD due to Springfield's parts policy, I listened. (And they say I don't listen to the police . . . . !)

I like pretty much everything about it, except the grip. I like the length of the grip just fine. When the gripectomy was performed, at Burns Custom (not on my watch), the grip was shortened, but not reduced.

And it doesn't feel good in the (or my) hand. The grip ends in a point (I'll post pictures later), and that point digs right into the heel of my palm.

It doesn't stop me from shooting it pretty well, but it isn't comfortable, and I have to kind of wiggle my hand to get a good grip--which I figure is a bad thing. (Hey, if a gun is uncomfortable to grip, and slow to grip, then I ain't got a whole lot of interest in it as a "using" thing.)

And I'd been pondering whether to just dump this pistol back on the market, or do something about the grip. So I was scouting out various gunsmiths who offer grip reductions, and I was thinking in the back of my mind that maybe I'd just follow the Brownell's article here.

Now, believe it or not, I'd also thought of trying the "heat and bend" method, and was going to pull the steel insert out of a Glock magazine and see how it would work.

Reading that a candle provides enough heat, hey now . . . .

No comments: